Build for Classic

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Sat May 19 01:14:59 EDT 2007

nope, a lot of schools wont do this unless folks like you with the
savvy to figure out how to do this go in and volunteer to do it, you
donate the money for the  the copies of osx for their computers, then
you will have to come in and train the teachers how to use the osx,
then you will have to support the new systems, then you will have to
probably donate copies of the osx versions of newer software for them
to use since they dont have the tech personnel or money to do any of
this in many cases.

I dont worry at all about being osx only in the home market its the
school market that is still holding on to os9. k-6 will be the last
hold ons here as they usually get the lowest tech budgets and have
the least tech savvy staffing to attempt rolling their own upgrades.

I know you would want to believe that most schools are in the 21st
century with their technology, but lots of them are still twencen.
the schools that need them most help educationally are usually in the
worst shape technology wise also, but even some more affluent
districts have slashed tech budgets since getting rid of a tech
person is way more desirable than loosing an administrator type in
the district. you can guess my feelings on that matter...

I know that as one of the richest countries in the world we want to
believe we hold education in high regard, but you will find that in
terms of what you pay the folks that actually educate (teachers,
lesson writers, educational programmers, etc) its actually pretty low
on the professional pay scales. I know i have been doing educational
multimedia since 87 and except for the few years in the hay days of
cdroms in the mid 90s Its pretty much the lowest money in the field
and the poorest clients..

A small side story that illustrates the point:
I presented years ago at the baby bell's annual technology conference
for all the big wigs of all the telcos when they were just starting
to see the light that they could move data into the households and
make some $$ on it. they thought that folks would spend huge $ to
bring educational materials into their house holds and the could make
huge profits. after showing them all sorts of cool and fun
educational multimedia stuff (they were practically foaming at the
mouth at this point) i decided to do some letting air out of the
tires. I asked if everyone in the room was making above $200K (there
were like 100 top execs there so i assume that they would laugh at
this paltry sum and i was correct in the assumption), all hands went
up (except for a few engineers there from the labs that were also
presenting). i then asked those that had kids and about 90% of the
hands went up. then asked them to total all the money they spent in a
year on educational materials for their kids. i said it could be
books, subscriptions, music, videos, software, trips to museums or
other even semi educational events. i asked how many of them thought
they spent over $1000, a few hands went up, then $500 a few more then
$250 most of the hands were up, then surprisingly i asked under $100
and probably 10 hands went up -- i was shocked they were willing to
admit that. I then asked them what the average household income was
that they would target to sell ed materials to and they said $40-80k.
Then said so if most of you are willing to spend less than half a
percent of your large salaries with lots of discretionary cash on
software you might think that it would be a smaller percentage for
the ave customer and they agreed. then said ok how about half what
you do, ok then that works out to 0.25% or less of $40-80K or
$100-200/year for the ave target family. Silence in the room. None of
them had bothered to think this through. i was horrified. i asked if
they thought the target families would be able and/or willing to
transfer any more money out of other spending to pay for more cool
new educational materials via their new (and expensive at that time)
connections.

went on into a discussion of what this would then require is a
rewiring of how much money we will spend on educational materials in
our society if they wanted the pie to get bigger to take a slice
from. Needless to say for the next two days i was was the target of
very concerned discussions at every free moment in the conference. To
their credit they really came around fast in realizing the missing
step, but only to not go into the area, not to even think about
trying to change things.

sorry for the rant, but this is the world i live in and the rest of
the world has a very different impression of the education world and
just asks why cant we do things like business does...

best thing i can say is go in and volunteer in a school and see what
it takes to do education, its an eye opener!

cheers,

Jeffrey Reynolds

On May 18, 2007, at 7:47 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com