Quitting standalone, is this a bug?

Michael Binder runr at prismpole.com
Fri May 18 12:10:16 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,
after another round of research I have found that I am not the first to
stumble on this bug....

On Jan 19, 2006 at 10:35 PM Steve Wagenseller posted to the list:

> I'm trapping the Quit message from the menubar via a shutdownrequest
> handler, but in the standalone, something curious occurs. The first
> time I choose "Quit" I can get the trap script to run (basically, an
> "Are you sure?" prompt along with some save options). The second time
> I choose Quit from the menu, the trap is not implemented.
>
> I am not passing the handler along, it sits at the stack level, and I
> am using an "exit to top" to get out of the shutdownrequest handler
> when "Cancel" is chosen.
>
> Have any of you experienced this strange problem -- that the trap
> only works once -- and do you have suggestions?
>
> --Steve

I do wonder if this bug is more prevalent than just the two of us.
In order to find this bug you have to quit, cancel quit, and then quit
your standalone a second time.  You won't catch this bug in the
development environment.  How many standalone developers have actually
tested their apps in this way?  One more thing... I do not have
access to a windows system, so for all I know this bug is specific
to the mac.

--Michael Binder