Quitting standalone, is this a bug?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu May 17 18:42:30 EDT 2007

Michael Binder wrote:
> Hi Devon and Jacqueline,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, I have read them several times but I still
> don't see how they help me.  Maybe Jacqueline is right about hypercard
> interfering with my thought process.

Believe me, I went through it. ;)

> Jacqueline wrote:
>>  [snip]  You could also check this way:
>>
>>    if the short name of this stack is the mainstack of this stack then...
>>
>> which would be true if it's your stack and false if it's not.
>
> OK, suppose I use this code and find that "this stack" is not myApp.  Then
> what do I do?

As in my example handler, just pass the message and don't act on it. If
it isn't your stack, do nothing.

> myApp is a mainstack with no substacks.  myApp has several dataentry cards.
> I need to know which dataentry card the user was editing at the time of
> the quit request.

Ah, I see. Okay. Then you want:

   put the id of this card of stack "myApp" into thisCd

Now "thisCd" contains the id of the card. Or you could ask for the short
name of the card if that's easier and your cards are all named.

> The code you have provided will tell me whether or not its my stack.  The
> user was certainly in my stack when she made the Quit request.  I need
> to know where in my stack the user was when she quit.  Asking the engine
> whether
>
>> the short name of this stack is the mainstack of this stack
>
> doesn't tell me what card the user was editing when the Quit request was
> made, does it?  My workaround was to get line 1 of the recentcards of
> myApp on the theory that the user must have been there when the Quit
> request was made.

That will work too I suppose; I'm trying to think if that could trip you
up but nothing comes to mind. So you're probably good to go after all.

> I appreciate your efforts to help me, but I must be pretty dense.  Could
> you please try harder?

No, not dense at all. There's a learning curve. I've said before that I
think us old HyperCarders have a harder time than others, because
everything seems like it should be exactly the same -- and then when it
isn't, it throws you for a loop. Been there. ;)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com