Revolution 2.8.1: a 240+ bug fixes/improvements! What about the remaining 1879?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu May 17 18:30:42 EDT 2007

Joel Guillod wrote:

> - Also a deeper study would be necessary to evaluate how bugs were
> prioritized in the fix: is priority choosen by severity, by reporter, by
> date, by vote count?

As I understand it, they decide based on a combination of many things,
including all the above (though I don't think the person who reports it
matters very much.) Crashing bugs are always high priority. Blockers are
difficult to decide, I suspect. If only one person says something is a
blocker but the thousands of other users don't, then it is hard to
decide whether to give that bug a higher priority than another bug of
less severity that affects many people. In this case, votes may help the
decision. Also, it is likely that when fixing one segment of the code
base, it is easy to fix related bugs at the same time; that means some
relatively minor bugs may get fixed simply because the engineers are
looking at that segment of code at the moment.

Another factor is whether the bugs affect a feature that is scheduled
for a rewrite in the future. If a feature is scheduled for a rewrite, it
isn't worth fixing related bugs because after the rewrite they won't be
relevant any more.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com