Obtaining the hardware MacAddress ON WINDOWS

Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com
Thu May 17 13:28:40 EDT 2007

When you have Parallels or VMware installed on a Windows box, it created
multiple virtual NICs. Each one has its own MacAddress. I want to determine
the MacAddress of the REAL hosts NIC? It isn't in the registry, so how can
this be achieved? I have tried the following, but it returns all 4 NICs,
and you can't tell which one is real (and active):

function getWinMacAddress
  set the hideConsoleWindows to true
  put "net config rdr" into tShellCommand
  put shell(tShellCommand) into tNetInfo
  filter tNetInfo with "*NetBT_Tcpip*" -- last word is MacAddress
  put word -1 of line 1 of tNetInfo into tMacAddress
  return tMacAddress
end getWinMacAddress

Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com>