[OT] BRAZIL: HEAVEN OR HELL?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Tue May 15 14:56:48 EDT 2007

Bob,

thanks for the essay, it's hard to come by texts that doesn't picture
brazilians being carnival lovers, football dream players, cheaters in
general, heavy coffee drinkers.

You go deep to think a problem that everyone knows and we all pretend
it's not in there. And you live in dream lands (floripa!), situation
in Rio is beyond warfare, Statistics show that in one single year in
Rio and São Paulo more people are killed than in vietnam or something
crazy like that.

I plan to move south too, where a person can still go out at night
and trust he will come home later.

On the other side, there's nothing more creative than brazilians,
solving problems by thinking outside of the box is the standard
brazilian practice. In a country where careful planning and
scientific thinking is shunned in favor of intuition and "let's try
this way! where's your spirit of adventure!"-felling. Once I saw a
guy in a jeep with a problem in the engine where not enough gas was
being pumped into the thing when the car was on a cliff, the guy took
the water of the windshield clearing thingy and inserted gasoline in
that thing, cut the tube to the windshield and moved the tube to some
other part of the engine, so when he was on the cliff and there was
not enough gas, he could just "clean the windshield like a
madman!!!!" and pump more casoline into the engine. He arrived safe
home, he is viewed as a very smart guy and that is the standard
brazilian way of solving things (hack around them).

he documented the procedure and put it online, it works for toyota
jeeps from 1981, he own cumpliments of the jeep club for his
"scientific achievement in favor of all jeep owners that were once
stopped at a high cliff and the betterment of mankind" or something
like that.

(my cs teacher used a stethoscope in old harddrives and machines to
diagnose problems, but thats another history of brazilian ways)

andre