End of U3?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon May 14 19:04:12 EDT 2007

Judy Perry write:
> Even though I am largely a Mac user, my students and my labs are largely
> PC and hence I need ways to get around being locked out of allowing
> downloads and installations of demos etc.
>
> U3 *should* let me do that, right?

ANY removable drive will let you do that.

Whether an application requires installation on the hard drive isn't
related to the drive, U3 or otherwise.  It depends on how the app is
designed.

Traditionally, apps designed for installation on the hard drive may
expect to write a preferences file on the drive, and may modify the
registry to set up file type associations.  Those using VB or some other
systems may also be dependent on any number of DLLs which will need to
be installed in specific folders on the drive.

But an app can be designed not to need that stuff, to keep everything on
the drive it's running on.  Since Rev standalones are self-contained, as
long as they don't go out of their way to modify the system (prefs
files, registry, etc.) they'll run from any removable media.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal