'Community Beta' has lost its way

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Mon May 14 06:59:49 EDT 2007

Hi Heather,

I emailed Bill (bill.marriott at runrev.com) about this on 28th April,
specifically in response to him asking for our top 5 outstanding bug
issues in 2.8.1.  A few days later someone pointed out on the list
that their email to Bill bounced.  Mine had not bounced, and I was
not specifically expecting a reply from him (unless of course my
outstanding issues were not going to be addressed, and I would hope
that he would have the courtesy in that situation to inform me why).
However, to make sure that he got my email, I forwarded that email to
him again on 1st May.  In neither case did I receive any message
saying my email had bounced, nor did I hear that this bug would not
be addressed.

As there had been no response from Bill, I posted to the Beta Forum
(http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?
t=733&sid=a27c044d3a76fc1f95dd22bafe1868f5), which is supposedly
monitored by Bill and by Robin Miller.  But no response from either.

I subsequently added my comments to that bug in Bugzilla, to make
sure that there was some obvious sign of activity with that bug
report.  I also wrote to the user list about this outstanding bug
(29th April), and got several other users to add votes for it, in an
attempt to get Runrev to pay some attention to it.

On 5th May I had still seen no response from anyone at Runrev.  So I
asked once again in the Beta forum (http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/
viewtopic.php?t=748).  This was the last posting in that beta forum.
But still no response from anyone at Runrev.  It's quite clear that
no-one at Runrev is even monitoring the Community Beta forum.

You might well say that 'there is every likelihood' that it will be
fixed for 2.9', yet there is no explanation as to why this bug was
not included in 2.8.1 (Marcus accepted it as a 'blocker' level bug
almost 14 months ago).  Going off the time from 2.7.4-2.8.1, it looks
like this bug will not be fixed for another 6 months, if ever.

Since I've tried over several weeks to draw attention to this bug via
4 different routes involving *.runrev.com, with no response until my
desperate post to the list today, what else am I to conclude but that
the 'Community Beta' has lost its way?  I've done everything asked of
me by Runrev in this process, and until today Runrev has chosen to
ignore me.

It's pathetic that the bug that most affects me is being ignored,
given the times I've defended Runrev in public when people have
railed against the bugginess of Revolution.  Instead I receive weekly
emails from Runrev's 'Quality Manager' asking me to let him know what
outstanding bugs are issues for me.

Bernard