Script Limits in 2.8.0 [was Spreadsheet]

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Sun May 13 15:46:11 EDT 2007

>There are two examples which are not reated to self modyfyin code really:
>
>  1) Spread sheet type applications where the user can do simple stuff but
>extend the manipulations to any level using an embedded scripting language
>that is as easy to understand and write ans Transcript
>
>2) Component frameworks in which high end components can be created by
>developers and then customised with a built in scripting language, or even
>
>3) Components created within a free environment and made available to be
>used in the commercial IDE, which has extended workflow tool sets over and
>above the pure language..

Another example: scientific applications where users can enter their
own functions for analyzing, processing, or displaying some data.

I can sympathize with Roger and others who got their wings cut by
scriptLimits. I used to write programs in HC that relied on unlimited
"do" scripting and dynamically created handlers for buttons, but had
to give that up once I fully moved to MC/Rev. Yes, I lost some
business opportunities as the result. But can't blame RR too much.
Relying on purely legal protection is rubbish in this business.

Actually, at some point in the past, RR offered custom licensing on
one-by-one basis for those who need to go above scriptLimits, but I
never succeeded in getting any specifics from RR. Theoretically, that
could work if RR had an option to produce custom engine versions but
I suspect the benefits to a few users are too small to justify the
effort. As things are, there are a few "standard" engines that keep
missing their releases.

Actually, the products and prices changed a lot over time. Some of
the dynamic programs could be sold as a package with RevMedia, thus
letting users work in IDE without having to worry about scripLimits.

Robert