Script Limits in 2.8.0 [was Spreadsheet]

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Sun May 13 11:37:45 EDT 2007

>Shouldn't this limitation be obsoleted? I had read once that RunTime had no
>fear of a competing IDE, and in fact, they incourage it. It was explained
>that a license to the engine is still required, so RunTime would still
>benefit from sales. This ancient 10 line limit is well, "limiting" us as
>developers. Do any of Revs competing languages have such a limit imposed on
>built standalone apps?
>
>Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com>

I think you are confusing two different things.

An IDE runs with licensed engine, so the script limits do not apply.
This is why we can use alternative IDEs.

The stand-alone applications or stacks running in the player are
subject to script limits. Were they not, some mischievious person
would release a stack that allows anyone to run any size script,
effectively eliminating a need for buying the license. This would, of
course, kill RR's business.

The limits affect only scripts that are compiled at runtime, when
running not in licensed IDE that is, like the code executed through
"do".

Robert