Function Points

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue May 8 17:18:58 EDT 2007

Nope, don't use Function points here. But I do have experience in estimating
project scope. Here's some ideas:

1) First, get a small upfront check to build the spec. A defined spec will
help greatly in creating an estimate for what it takes to complete a
project. I typically like to create large scale blueprints outlining the
interface flow/design of a project, and they generally don't cost over a
couple grand to create. I've found over the years typically more work goes
into the GUI and hooking it up, than the back-end.

2) After you have a project blueprint and have gone over it with the
customer, you'll need to define the development 'nature' of a project. We
prefer a modified Extreme Programming methodology <
http://www.extremeprogramming.org/> whereby we set early and frequent
milestones with the knowledge things can and will change during the process.

At Human Code we generally worked on a different model as a product HAD TO
SHIP ON TIME, so we could spec it out, start to finish, at the beginning.
Create a schedule and keep to it no matter what. While this did satisfy the
customer requirements, it ended up many times creating a less than stellar
finished product.

3) If forced to make a not to exceed bid, I generally go over the blueprint,
and estimate as accurately as I can how long it will take, then multiply
times 3. I typically explain to my customers they get a better and more cost
effective project by paying 'by the hour' as opposed to 'fixed bid.' Fixed
bids have more detailed specs and a ECN process (Engineering Change Notice)
by where we can modify the projected schedule, budgets and deliverables.

Lastly, THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR EXPERIENCE in estimating a project.

HTH,
Chipp