Path problem with Standalone

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri May 4 15:20:40 EDT 2007

Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At least I'm back to a stack that will build a standalone again; but
> when I try to add the files for my external aiff files, I cannot get the
> path to match the source path for the players. As an example: the first
> player's source path is:
>
> /applications/Revolution Studio/2.8.0-gm-4/MusicFolder/MusicOne.aiff
>
> but when I add the file with the Standalone setup dialog it only places
> part of the path for that file, like:
>
> /2.8.0-gm-4/MusicFolder/MusicOne.aiff

No matter how hard I try, I can't get that to happen. I tested with
2.7.4, 2.8.0, and 2.8.1 beta. The full path is always there.

Regardless of path issues, note that the sound files will be copied
inside your standalone bundle when you choose to "add files". (Go look
inside the standalone bundle, I bet they are there in a folder called
"2.8.0-gm-4"). If your players are hard-coded to the file's original
location, they won't likely play on anyone else's machine though they
should still play on your own machine if the paths are accurate. The
file paths in the SB have nothing to do with the file paths you set in
your player objects. The SB file paths only determine where the SB will
copy additional files. It is up to you to assign the file paths to
objects correctly.

If you really do want to play the files from their original locations,
then don't bother to include the files in the standalone. (They will
likely only play on your own machine in that case, no one else will have
them.) If you do want the files included inside the bundle so that
anyone can play them, then allow the SB to move them there (which it
does when you choose to add files) and change your player file paths to
relative paths, relative to the stack location. When testing in the IDE,
you will need to have the audio files in a similar relative position to
your stack.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com