A daft idea about using a printerserver to import video . . .

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 10:17:37 EDT 2007

James Richards wrote:

"A couple of links that might help with this:
http://lowendmac.com/network/bridge.shtml"

Thank you very much - my digestive juices are now
flowing about an OLD Mac Laser printer which is (also)
rotting in my attic in Scotland, only through my lack
of knowledge as to how to patch it into an Ethernet
network. The printer has a refillable toner cartridge
(ECO or what?) and does an extremely good job,
especially where the standard USB printers from HP and
EPSON produce jaggy-whatnots.

The BIG question is do I hump my Performa 5230CD
(which had an 10base Ethernet card bunged in it
way-back-when) and run the Laser P through that (i.e.
Laser connected to Performa via printer port and
Performa connected to Router by LAN cable), or do I
get hold of a LocalTalk-to-Ethernet adapter?

Of course the other snag about using a socking great
Performa as a print server is that it will use quite a
large amount of power for rather unnecessary
activities.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

The same goes for my old Stylewriter II, which has
nothing intrinsically wrong with it- -apart from a
local-talk connector.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.