Assigning IP addresses . . .

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 03:16:28 EDT 2007

Ian Wood wrote:

"You can only assign IP addresses to devices that
understand Internet
Protocol, i.e computers and network-aware devices such
as network
printers, network scanners and NAS boxes. All those
things that have
ethernet ports..."

That has been my point all along!

For instance:

On my home network I have a fairly plain, vanilla USB
printer hooked into my Router via an EdiMax (cheap and
not very cheerful, and a pain in the bum to set up
with Macs) printer server. My printer probably
wouldn't understand an IP address if it hit it in the
face (a lot of mixed metaphors and similes there) -
but the server thrives on IP addresses.

Hence the idea that one could assign an IP address to
some sort of USB-to-Ethernet server regardless of what
was plugged in at the far end.

Having read the Keyspan PDFs I found 2 things which
make this unworkable, at least with their product:

1. doesn't work with video - although does work with
digital cameras.

2. doesn't seem to allow the end-user to assign IP
addresses - does it all automatically: why do I
dislike machines that have sealed boxes?

SO . . . I am now searching for a video-compliant
USB/Firewire-to-Ethernet server,

and, like a later-day Don Quixote I shall ride forth
with my BBC Micro under one arm, my SCSI PCI card
under the other and all sorts of ADB cables slung
around my waist . . . fear not! the outdated loony
cometh!

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.