special folders

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed May 2 23:09:26 EDT 2007

On Wed, 02 May 2007 18:38:01 -0500, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Ken Ray wrote:
>
>> There are a lot more examples, but you get the idea. So to develop
>> for the widest possible distribution, you want to accommodate users
>> of all levels, so the guidelines say that you should:
>>
>> - Put the executable file in the Applications/Program Files/etc. folder
>> - Put files that the application uses, that usually won't be
>> modified or need to be accessed by multiple users, and likely should
>> not be seen (or not seen very often) by end users in an Application
>> Support/Application Data/etc. folder
>> - Put files that *do* change, are user-specific, or hold
>> user-generated data in the user's Documents/My Documents folder
>
> Where would you put a file that the app itself needs to update,
> regardless of which user is running it? I've been putting that file
> into an "all users/application data/myapp/" folder but if there are
> permissions problems with that, what then?

Well, there's the rub - there isn't a simple answer. The problem is
that for truly "locked down" users, the application itself would need
to elevate its permissions to take actions that the currently logged-in
user's permissions do not allow. OS X we can do with "sudo" and get
authorization; Trevor just found a way to ask for authorization under
Vista, but for other Windows flavors there isn't a solution for
Revolution that's been made known.

What I've ended up needing to do is to request that Windows users get
added to the "Power Users" group, which gives them some form of
elevated access, but doesn't quite make them "Administrators". However
some companies won't even allow that...

If I find out a way to do it, I'll make a tip out of it and let
everyone know...

:-)

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.