to avoid making mistakes (was TARGET bug..please check)

Dick Kriesel dick.kriesel at mail.com
Tue May 1 03:23:12 EDT 2007

On 4/30/07 11:23 PM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> I got on this kick a while back about reducing the warnings in my apps,
> looking for ways to provide guidance to the user to avoid making
> mistakes in the first place.
>
> With regard to validation, this trajectory led me to a frontScript that
> simply prevents non-numeric characters from being entered into numeric
> fields, something like this:
>
> on keyDown k
>    get the uValidationType of the target
>    if it is empty then pass keyDown
>    if it is "number" AND k is in "0123456789" then
>       pass keyDown
>    end if
> end keyDown

Does that trajectory lead to a switch in the frontScript, or to focusIn
handlers that insert their own frontScripts, or what?

It sounds like a good topic for an article in RevJournal.  I think it'd be a
worthy feature for some Rev Standard Library too (unless it's become
proprietary, of course).

-- Dick