replacing perl cgi with rev

Sadhunathan Nadesan sadhu at castandcrew.com
Fri Mar 30 17:01:17 EDT 2007

>>For those on a Mac, I highly recommend BBEdit and Fetch for cgi
>>work. Fetch allows you to edit a file directly on the server; it
>>opens the file with BBEdit and when you save your changes in
>>BBEdit, they become live immediately. It avoids the whole download/
>>edit/re-upload cycle. There may be other FTP programs that interact
>>with BBEdit the same way, I just happen to own Fetch.
>>
>>If there are similar programs for Windows, maybe someone knows and
>>will tell us.

Aloha,

Well, just in the spirit of sharing - not necessarily a recommendation -
and to offer up an alternative - I do it the old fashioned way.  Very
easy, saves time - develop directly on the production box.

What that means is this:  production box is a Linux server (web server)
where the CGI will run.  Use the native editor (VI).  Develop a few
lines at a time, and just run the program straight from the command
line.  Test driven development.  All you need is a login (for an ssh or
telnet session).  Why go to all the trouble of hauling your app back and
forth over the net?  (agreed, this doesn't test everything, such as,
Apache's permissions to do things in a virtual domain environment, etc.).

Well, of course, this is natural for me because  I've been working in a
command line environment on Unix systems for 25 years, so I probably
don't match the profile of the average Rev developer.  Anyway, take it
for what it's worth.  There is no better editor than vi.  (imho).

My local box is of course Windows where, if I happen to need some info
(I consult the documentation quite often) Rev help is handy, and I can
try code snippets in the message box if needed - so anyway, the only
Windows software required is a terminal emulator (I use Putty).

Cheers,
Sadhu