exportscripts.rev

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 19:51:44 EDT 2007

On 3/29/07 2:45 PM, "Sarah Reichelt" <sarah.reichelt at gmail.com> wrote:

>> What I found the most helpful is to be able to instantly search all
>> the scripts of every Rev project I've ever worked on without having
>> to open them.
>>
>> (Opening them in Rev takes more time, and sometimes triggers openCard
>> and openStack scripts, and there are sometimes stack name conflicts,
>> especially with older versions of the same stack :-)
>
> I agree, but opening a stack file in a text editor also works fine (so
> long as you don't save). Mixed in with all the binary junk, the
> scripts are all available in plain text form and can be compared or
> copied.

True, Sarah, but they are not labeled according to stack, object, and are
not in a time stamped file.

using the seconds as the first part of the name of text file holding the
scripts is one of the features I like most.   I can click the saveScript
plugin button, save both the stack and then the scripts; go forth and
explore reworking the code, knowing that the previous version is saved
separately as a time-stamped text file.  Basically a version history of your
scripts as often as you wish, then every so many weeks, purge the oldest
versions.  (Rev crashes don't affect these files)

The second best feature is being able to do a search across all the text
files in the folder, including a regular expressioin-type search.

In fact, since I always use the form of defining a variable "regEx"

put "(?Ui).*(clientName)$" into regEx
put replaceText(formLetter,regEx, tClientName) into letterToSend

I can search for all the ways I have used "regEx" in my scripts.  Wish I
would have started doing this 2 years ago when I did some heavy regEx stuff.
Ah, well, someday......

Jim Ault
Las Vegas