unicodeText or raw text

ron rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp
Wed Mar 28 20:32:41 EDT 2007

Greetings,

I am saving Japanese text as unicodetext to a file on a Mac but it
seems to be saved as raw text. That is, when the file is doubleclicked
and opens Textedit, it shows raw unicode, not Japanese. If Textedit's
preferences are set to open text files as UTF16, then it opens the file
and displays Japanese properly. If the file is opened in Textedit as
plain text but then saved as UTF16 with no other changes, it displays
Japanese properly on subsequent opens.

Is there a way to indicate that the textfile of unicoded text is indeed
UTF16 so that it displays properly in text editors?

Thanks
Ron

ps I am aware of the options of rtftext and htmltext so you don't have
to suggest those as alternative ways save the text. I need the plain
text option as well.