Enabling a Menu

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Mar 26 13:06:30 EDT 2007

Mark Powell wrote:
> Joe,
>
> You and I are both veterans from the Hypercard days, where there was no
> such animal as custom properties.  Ergo, we are old dogs that need to
> learn new tricks.  I know this in my bones, but try as I might I have
> never segued over to this feature...instead staying in the comfort zone
> of globals.

What you need is...ta da!...Dan Shafer's scripting conference stack
about properties. Go here:

<http://support.runrev.com/scriptingconferences/> and grab it.

Custom properties are alien at first if you haven't used them before,
but once you do, you will smack your forehead and say "of course!" And
you'll never look back. You can think of them as a sort of permanent
variable.

Note that custom properties are saved with your stack, so in some cases
globals are still a better choice for things that are temporary to the
session. But in most cases, these can be replaced with script-local
variables, so even then globals are rarely required.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com