developing on linux part 1

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 05:58:29 EDT 2007

> The thing to understand first is the environment in which almost all the other
> applications on a Linux system have been written.
>
> They will almost all, unlike yours, be Open Source.  Many will have been
> written in either the Gnome or the KDE development environments.  Even if
> written in other environments, they will use open source components.  If
> written in Python or other popular languages they will probably use the KDE
> or Gnome bindings.  They will then often take their look and feel from the
> Gnome or KDE desktop settings.

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for taking the time to enlighten those of us to whom Linux
is still an unknown. However this bit confuses me. I had assumed that
when you compiled an app for Linux it contained no specific UI so it
just adopted the look & feel of the user's system, whether KDE, Gnome
or whatever. You are saying that apps are built with links to a single
environment.

How does Rev fit into this? Do Rev apps for Linux include links to a
specific environment?

And I guess the most important question for those of us who are not
Linux experts but would like to  make Linux versions of our apps
available: what would you recommend as the best distro for testing if
we can only test on one?

Cheers,
Sarah