Family punchups

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Mar 23 18:02:16 EDT 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 3:38 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Why do I have a "funny feeling" that as Ubuntu seems
> to gain Linux dominance it also seems to be acquiring
> some rather unpleasant facets previously only seen
> with commercial operating system?
>
> It has "climbed into bed with Google" - who next we
> wonder ?
>
> All you lovers of liberty and non-conformity, methinks
> tis time to move on elsewhere!

And while we're at it...

I should be able to drive on whatever bl***y side of the street I
want to.
I want to be surprised when I turn on one of the water faucets in the
shower.
I don't care if the > button on my video player goes forward,
backward, stops or records.
I should be able to say "Goodbye" when I answer the phone and expect
the person on the other end not to be confused.
I want my mouse cursor to move to the right when I move it away from me.

;-)

Seriously folks, let's not confuse conformity with convention. For
the vast majority of computer users standardized interfaces is a
productivity multiplier. There simply will not be widespread adoption
of Linux (or any other OS) without a well designed, widely-used GUI
with consistently applied conventions. And do you really believe that
all other Linux flavors will wither away? To me the emergence of a
dominant Linux distro is a win-win for everybody. More users = more
support for the underlying OS.

Full disclosure: I haven't installed Linux (yet). But when I do I'll
probably go with Ubuntu, with nary an ill thought for users of other
distros.

Cheers.

Devin

Devin Asay