Family punchups

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 23 15:06:38 EDT 2007

Bob Warren wrote:

 > I was very grateful that Richard accidentally "pressed my button"
 > a little bit the other day, and I think it led to results which
 > from my point of view (and possibly from his too) were highly
 > positive.

My apologies if I'd "pushed a button", but as far as any Linux
discussion goes I'd say you had a quite positive effect here:

Seeing that Ubuntu is at last doing what I'd hoped a distro could do,
focusing on the consumer experience to achieve a market dominance that
helps simplify the decision for potential new users to get on board, I
decided to take the next step.

Usability is central to desktop adoption of Linux, and as a developer
who prefers high-level tools to bit-counting, it's one of the few areas
where I make make a contribution.

Since Ubuntu is becoming the clear desktop leader in the Linux world,
and since the default window manager for their main product is Gnome,
I've subscribed to the Gnome Usability list:

I've just been lurking for now like a good newbie, getting a feel for
what's on the agenda and who the players are.  But I suspect over time I
may be able to contribute a few things, possibly writing portions of a
future Gnome HIG.

So yes indeed, some very positive results came from that exchange.  I
very much appreciate your passion for Linux -- it's contagious!. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation