Do you Ubuntu?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 21 10:55:47 EDT 2007

Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> The problem with running on MacIntels in Parallels is, that virtualisation on
> Macs cannot be the future Linux market for Rev.  The market has to be,
> assuming it exists,  people running Linux on off-the-shelf PCs.

Virtualization isn't so much a market-shifter as a convenience for those
who need to run multiple operating systems, such as us Rev developers,
Web developers, and folks stuck in old-world offices that have
"standardized" on a particular OS.

The market for virtualization will always be relatively small, since
we're looking at a fairly small subset of users who need to run multiple
OSes frequently enough that such convenience matters.

So of course if Linux is to gain marketshare it'll have to do so by
focusing on physical installations.  But since those who benefit most
from virtualization are developers who port between platforms, it
benefits the Linux community to assist Parallels in accomplishing this
smoothly.  Happy developers means more apps, and more apps mean happy
end-users.

The true problem with running Linux in Parallels seems like merely a
small technical glitch that can likely be fixed soon after it gets the
attention of the engineers at Parallels Inc.

Since the input issue seems related to Rev, there may be something the
folks at RunRev might do to help that along.

Anyone know if the input has been posted to BZ?

I was going to do so, but frankly since I installed the latest release
of Parallels I'm no longer seeing that issue, only the one in which the
VM won't shut down fully.

If one of you have a reliable recipe for the input issue I'll gladly
vote for it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation