Another Export Snapshot Problem

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Mar 20 17:20:22 EDT 2007

Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't have access to all of those posts as I'm working away at the
> moment. I have two main problems:
>
> 1.  The export snapshot command leaks memory like it's going out of
> fashion.
>
> 2.  The export snapshot when used in the context of a rectangle still
> leaks memory but not as badly as the other form, however I can't seem to
> get the correct rectangle coordinates for the portion of the window I
> want to dump.

Richard and I have been looking at this offlist. I've written Dave
privately, but just to update everyone here, this is what we found:

1. There is a problem with PNGs for some reason. The export command
fails after a certain number of itertations. In Dave's stack, this is
#289. If you change the export type to GIF or JPEG (or maybe some of the
others we didn't try) then there is no error after any number of iterations.

2. The memory leak is significant, but it only occurs in the IDE. It
isn't an engine problem.  When running the same script in the MC IDE or
as a standalone, there is no memory leak.

Therefore, Dave can probably work around the issue by changing his
export format to something other than PNG, and limiting his tests in the
IDE to fewer repetitions. When run as a standalone, it should be fully
functional without any leaks for any number of iterations.

I have submitted a bug report for Dave about this, and will update it
with this info. The bug number is #4558. Gotta thank Richard for some
heavy-duty sleuthing on this one.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com