Mouse messages while down

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 22:32:56 EDT 2007

I'm having a blank moment here and I can't work out how to solve what
should be a simple problem.

I have a grid of about 400 buttons and I have a mouseDown handler in
the card script to detect which of these buttons is clicked first.

Then I want the user to be able to drag the mouse around and I want to
detect which button is under the pointer when the mouse is released.
Ideally, I want to detect which button is under the pointer at all
times while the mouse is down.

The problem is that no other messages seem to be sent while the mouse
is down (mouseEnter, mouseLeave, mouseStillDown etc). I can detect
mouseRelease but "the target" is my original button so it doesn't tell
me where the mouse is now. Checking "the mouseControl" in the
mouseRelease handler also gives the original target.

It's looking as if I may have to do some continuous polling, but I
know that is generally frowned upon, so I would be grateful for any
other suggestions.

Thanks,
Sarah