[OFF] Input/Info Requested

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Mar 16 17:00:09 EDT 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 2:32 PM, Bill Marriott wrote:

>> [various comments about the wealth of resources available for Rev
>> newbies]
>
> I do appreciate there's a lot of good stuff out there. As a not-so-
> newbie I
> still find it bewildering where to look, and the landscape is
> constantly
> changing. It seems even a mere directory of these is a daunting
> challenge.
>
> It's my opinion that we (you can consider that "we" the company, or
> the
> community, or both) need to develop a ore complete library of self-
> contained
> "starter" kits for various tasks that Revolution is well-suited
> for. A kit
> being: narrative; code snippets; sample stacks, etc.
>
> That library should be at runrev.com, and actively maintained. They
> should
> all
>
> - share the same look-and-feel in stacks
> - use consistent style-sheets/templates for documentation
> - meet standards of professionalism
> - be dead-simple for the newcomer (no weird xTalk tricks or fancy-
> shmancy
> footwork)
>
> I think a good example currently is the XML stack. Anyone who's
> tried to
> understand the revXML library is familiar with it. Many of the
> newsletter
> articles we've seen over the past few months are candidates. I'm
> curious
> about what some other kits might consist of. Email client? Media
> organizer?
>
> What does the community think the topics should be? And is there
> anyone
> interested in writing them?

Aren't there already a lot of these out there? I've done several
myself for my classes. The Online chat tutorials that Jacque
moderated a few months back have same great tutorial stacks. You're
right Bill. It ought to be shepherded by runrev and kept in a
consistently-maintained repository at runrev.com. That's gonna be
stop 1 for newbies looking for online help with Rev.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University