Linux questions for Jacque

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Fri Mar 16 13:06:38 EDT 2007

Jacque:

I'll try the experiment you suggest, but I think your last suggestion is
probably the best one. I'll do it over the weekend if I can. And don't
forget that I said I couldn't even TYPE accented characters correctly
into a field. That applies not only on my own computer where Ubuntu is
installed in English and I need a special key-sequence for the accented
chars on my American International Keyboard, it also applies to my
wife's machine where she has Ubuntu installed in Portuguese and she uses
an ABNT keyboard.

Whatever is wrong with Rev/Linux 2.6.1 in this respect won't of course
get fixed, but it would be a good idea to try and make sure as far as
possible that none of this difficulty appears in the next release.

When I send Technical Support a copy of my test program, if you REALLY
wanted to, i.e. you are dying of curiosity,  you could see what I am
talking about yourself simply by copying Rev/Linux and my example
project to the Desktop of a running Ubuntu Live CD. It's as simple as
that: no installation of Linux or Rev is necessary. Just a thought...

[I'd just like to see someone do that with Windows!!!]

Bob

Jacque wrote:

>Actually, this is probably correct. Fields can have a textfont property
independent of the text chunks inside it. That allows you to have a
field's textfont set to Courier and a text chunk in the same field set
to something else. If you haven't specifically set the textfont of char
1 to 290, then it will be empty and instead it will inherit the field's
font.

What this tells me though is that it is most likely not a unicode issue.
I was wondering if your problem might be related to the printing failure
of Japanese fonts that popped up in another thread. Guess not.

One more thing to try: instead of pasting the accented characters from
another app, try putting them in using numToChar(). Your fonts may
differ from the ones I have on my Mac, but in Courier, for example, the
two accented "e"s are numToChar(142) and numToChar(143). I could insert
these into a field without pasting by saying:

   put numToChar(143) into char 1 of fld 1

I wonder if doing it this way would produce characters that Rev can
print. Maybe there is something about pasting from another program that
is making a difference.

If that doesn't work, then a short, 1-card stack with a sample field
that fails to print would be a good thing to submit to the QC Center. It
should print, RR has verified that, so if it doesn't it needs fixing.