Linux questions for Jacque

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Mar 15 22:28:17 EDT 2007

Bob Warren wrote:

> put the length of field "test" >> 290
> put the textfont of char 1 to 290 of field "test" >> EMPTY!!!!!!
> put the textfont of char 2 to 3 of field "test" >> EMPTY
>
> Aha!

Actually, this is probably correct. Fields can have a textfont property
independent of the text chunks inside it. That allows you to have a
field's textfont set to Courier and a text chunk in the same field set
to something else. If you haven't specifically set the textfont of char
1 to 290, then it will be empty and instead it will inherit the field's
font.

What this tells me though is that it is most likely not a unicode issue.
I was wondering if your problem might be related to the printing failure
of Japanese fonts that popped up in another thread. Guess not.

One more thing to try: instead of pasting the accented characters from
another app, try putting them in using numToChar(). Your fonts may
differ from the ones I have on my Mac, but in Courier, for example, the
two accented "e"s are numToChar(142) and numToChar(143). I could insert
these into a field without pasting by saying:

   put numToChar(143) into char 1 of fld 1

I wonder if doing it this way would produce characters that Rev can
print. Maybe there is something about pasting from another program that
is making a difference.

If that doesn't work, then a short, 1-card stack with a sample field
that fails to print would be a good thing to submit to the QC Center. It
should print, RR has verified that, so if it doesn't it needs fixing.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com