Filling Combo Box from Database

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 14:00:07 EDT 2007

On 3/15/07 10:19 AM, "Dave Ingledew - WCS" <dave at westcomp.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Please be patient with me, I started programming (exploring) Revolution a few
> days ago. I'm not an inexperienced programmer, nearly 30 years with C,
> Informix, SQL WIndows, PHP and a bit of VB. But I'm still finding some of
> Revolutions syntax a bit strange. I love it though and I hope to use it lots
> in the future.
>
> I'm trying to fill the menu or list items of a ComboBox with items selected
> from a database.
> I've sorted out the database connection, opening the database, executing the
> SQL that selects the data and then using a While - Repeat loop to step through
> the dataset and displaying the data a record at a time with answer. So far so
> good but how on earth do I get this data into the ComboBox.
>
> The best indication I found lurking in the description of the ComboBox was to
> use the "Text" property.
>
> I've trawled the email Archive back to last August and though I've found a few
> ideas, which are going to be very helpful, nothing that helps with this.
>
> If anybody can help I would be most grateful

In general, you should go to the Rev page
http://support.runrev.com/

Also click on the button a the left "Online Confrences" which has a
collection of expert explanations, and in your case, #9 is by Jeanne DeVoto,
and it does not get much better than that.  She wrote a lot of the docs.
--------------------------------------
Specifically:
Try the following steps to see what's up

change to pointer mode
make a new mainstack
use Object:New Control:Combo Box Menu to put one on the card
double-click on the Combo Box Menu control

study the inspector palette

now type into the message box
"put the text of control 1"
--this works since there is only one control on the card at the moment

To get a better understanding, check out "menus in the docs, and do an
archive search for the "menupick" message that is sent by Rev to the control
whenever the user makes a menu choice (pick).

Jim Ault
Las Vegas