Linux questions for Jacque

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Mar 14 00:02:53 EDT 2007

Bob Warren wrote:
> Jacque:
>
> First of all, please excuse my delay in replying. We've had no Internet
> (or cable TV) for the last day or so. How terrible!

A couple of years ago, my email went out for five days. I thought I'd go
insane. It felt like solitary confinement.

> Second, thanks for your very nice post. You are an example of the kind
> of communicative and helpful spirit that Rev needs more of.

Thanks. Hopefully you didn't just catch me on a good day. ;)

> Could we kick off with the 2 questions I couldn't find answers to? Here
> they are:
>
> 1. In Rev Linux 2.6.1, can foreign symbols (with accents) be printed on
> the printer or not?

I'll try to find out.

> 2. Why doesn't the following work?
>
> put "smbclient\ \\\\john\\c\ mount" into procToDo
> open process procToDo for update
> write "dir" to process procToDo   [or "dir" & return]
> read from process procToDo until eof
> put it into field "test"
> quit
> close process  procToDo

Since Mark Wieder was good enough to reply, could you see if his
suggestion works? If it doesn't I'll ask. I'd like to try solving as
much here on the list as possible before bugging the team. They're
really busy.

> In all fairness though, it
> can't be an easy job. Let's hope that Rev's revised production
> procedures shine through on the next much-awaited release.

I guess it was far harder than anyone anticipated. The original engine
code was written exlusively for unix, so one would think it wouldn't be
that hard to update. But the bulk of the code base is fairly old and a
lot has changed since it was first written. Mark Waddingham said it was
like pulling a thread out of a sweater -- everything he fixes unravels
something else. Once he started pulling it apart, the complexity of the
task became apparent.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com