Linux-specific technical problems

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Tue Mar 13 21:14:58 EDT 2007

Don Jungk wrote:

>Hi Bob,
I may not be of much help, I have two ideas.
I downloaded the 30 day trial of Rev for Linux, but have not had time yet to
work with it. If you want to send me the stack, I will try to run it and
print to my HP Laser printer.

Second idea - If Rev sends a Postscript file to the printer (and not a bitmap
of the page) can you write the PS to disk and look at the file in a text
editor. You may be able to see if the problem is in the string of text in the
file or in the font encoding part of the PS file.

I actually downloaded Rev because of Linux printing problems with REALBasic,
which I have used for 5 years. And I live in a Spanish speaking country, so
printing with accents is of interest to me also.

Hi Don,
Welcome to Rev!
Thanks for the offer, but I've already tried what you suggested. I don't know bananas about Postscript files, but examination in the text editor seems to tell me that my example file is valid in format (??), but contains nothing it should regarding the Portuguese character set. And from what I read in the Help, I got the impression (though it's difficult to believe) that Rev/Linux 2.6.1. means English only! Here is an extract from my Postscript file:

--------------------------
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Creator: MetaCard 2.6.6
%%DocumentData: Clean8Bit
%%MCOrientation Portrait
%%BoundingBox: 72 72 540 720
%%EndComments
%%BeginProlog
        /isolatin1encoding [ /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /space /exclam
        /quotedbl /numbersign /dollar /percent /ampersand /quoteright
        /parenleft /parenright /asterisk /plus /comma /minus /period /slash
        /zero /one /two /three /four /five /six /seven /eight /nine /colon
        /semicolon /less /equal /greater /question /at /A /B /C /D /E /F /G /H
        /I /J /K /L /M /N /O /P /Q /R /S /T /U /V /W /X /Y /Z /bracketleft
        /backslash /bracketright /asciicircum /underscore /quoteleft /a /b /c
        /d /e /f /g /h /i /j /k /l /m /n /o /p /q /r /s /t /u /v /w /x /y /z
        /braceleft /bar /braceright /asciitilde /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /space /exclamdown /cent /sterling /currency /yen
        /brokenbar /section /dieresis /copyright /ordfeminine /guillemotleft
        /logicalnot /hyphen /registered /macron /degree /plusminus
        /twosuperior /threesuperior /acute /mu /paragraph /periodcentered
        /cedilla /onesuperior /ordmasculine /guillemotright /onequarter
        /onehalf /threequarters /questiondown /Agrave /Aacute /Acircumflex
        /Atilde /Adieresis /Aring /AE /Ccedilla /Egrave /Eacute /Ecircumflex
        /Edieresis /Igrave /Iacute /Icircumflex /Idieresis /Eth /Ntilde
        /Ograve /Oacute /Ocircumflex /Otilde /Odieresis /multiply /Oslash
        /Ugrave /Uacute /Ucircumflex /Udieresis /Yacute /Thorn /germandbls
        /agrave /aacute /acircumflex /atilde /adieresis /aring /ae /ccedilla
/egrave /eacute /ecircumflex /edieresis /igrave /iacute /icircumflex
        /idieresis /eth /ntilde /ograve /oacute /ocircumflex /otilde
        /odieresis /divide /oslash /ugrave /uacute /ucircumflex /udieresis
        /yacute /thorn /ydieresis ] def

        /symbolencoding [ /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /space /exclam
        /universal /numbersign /existential /percent /ampersand /suchthat
        /parenleft /parenright /asteriskmath /plus /comma /minus /period
        /slash /zero /one /two /three /four /five /six /seven /eight /nine
        /colon /semicolon /less /equal /greater /question /congruent /Alpha
        /Beta /Chi /Delta /Epsilon /Phi /Gamma /Eta /Iota /theta1 /Kappa
        /Lambda /Mu /Nu /Omicron /Pi /Theta /Rho /Sigma /Tau /Upsilon /sigma1
        /Omega /Xi /Psi /Zeta /bracketleft /therefore /bracketright
        /perpendicular /underscore /radicalex /alpha /beta /chi /delta
        /epsilon /phi /gamma /eta /iota /phi1 /kappa /lambda /mu /nu /omicron
        /pi /theta /rho /sigma /tau /upsilon /omega1 /omega /xi /psi /zeta
        /braceleft /bar /braceright /similar /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef
        /.notdef /.notdef /.notdef /Upsilon1 /minute /lessequal /fraction
        /infinity /florin /club /diamond /heart /spade /arrowboth /arrowleft
        /arrowup /arrowright /arrowdown /degree /plusminus /second
        /greaterequal /multiply /proportional /partialdiff /bullet /divide
        /notequal /equivalence /approxequal /ellipsis /arrowvertex
        /arrowhorizex /carriagereturn /aleph /Ifraktur /Rfraktur /weierstrass

etc.
etc.
etc.

14 /_Helvetica-Bold setFont
0 0 0 setrgbcolor
6 55 (Limpeza) 49 55 AT
grestore
gsave
91 20 9 53 CLP
grestore
gsave
91 20 9 53 CLP
grestore
grestore
grestore
showpage
%%EOF
As I said, I don't know bananas about this, but there seems to be a lot of "notdef" to me.
In Ubuntu, if you double-click on a Postscript file with only English text in it, the image is shown successfully by the Evince utility. But if you do the same thing with a Postscript file that has Portuguese in it, it is not shown successfully by Evince, and the program just hangs, apparently trying and not succeeding to display the file.

My logic is that Evince cannot even display the image of the Postscript file as usual, it is even less likely that the printer can print it.

However, if there IS a workaround, or my impression is incorrect, I would like to know about it.

Bob