Linux-specific technical problems

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Mar 13 13:26:23 EDT 2007

Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> A lot of the problem is communication.
>
> Linux is still on 2.6.1, unable to open current format stacks, no altsqlite,
> no altbrowser or altfont.  No Valentina of course.  No Media. Meanwhile the
> other platforms have moved on a couple of releases.  The last post on the
> forums was November, saying the beta for Linux (that was 2.7.x) was coming
> soon.  Since then silence.
>
> There may be very reasonable explanations, but the worry which the total lack
> of communication raises is that this could turn into an orphaned platform.

No, not orphaned. In fact, a major priority right now. Are you on the
beta test list? A full explanation went out to those folks.

> So please, guys, tell us what is going on!  If it is only to say, this is all
> far more difficult than we had thought, and we really don't know what to do
> next, and we can't give any dates right now.  I hope it isn't as bad as that,
> but if it is, it it would be preferable to know.

A brief summary: The 'nix engine is in full development swing. As you
suspect, the rewrite is taking longer than expected. Once the very old
code was examined in detail it was found that it required far more
extensive rewriting than was originally thought and release dates had to
be extended. The rewrite is underway. Support for the unix engine is not
going away; exactly the opposite -- it is being improved, expanded, and
modernized.

If you haven't joined the beta test group I urge you to do so. That
group gets updates on progress as it occurs. The target release for unix
has been renumbered to 2.7.9 to allow for the interim Vista tweaks, but
otherwise nothing has changed. You will see a vastly modernized and
improved product when it is done.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com