concatenating with the ampersand

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Mar 11 14:20:12 EDT 2007

Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:
> Thanks for the added info, Klaus, but I don't see how checking that item
> in the View Menu does anything. It was already checked.

It allows Rev's IDE stacks to appear in the Application Browser. You'll
need to open the app browser to see the stacks. However:

> I tried go home
> at that point from the msg and it just closed the current stack. Except
> for the scripting that was possible in the HC home stack, I can see that
> the Rev Preferences are, for the most part, a substitution for the
> various things we would do with the HC home stack; and, I suppose we
> could actually create our own home stack as a start using stack with all
> of the HC features to which we were accustomed. Perhaps one of you has
> already done this?

There is little need for a customized Home stack in Revolution, and "go
home" won't do anything in the IDE. (In a standalone, it does  go to the
standalone's main stack.) The purpose of the Home stack in HC was
generally twofold: to 1) store custom handlers in the message hierarchy,
and 2) provide a hub for a navigation system.

Inserting handlers into the message path is done in several ways in
Revolution. One common way is via the use of plugins. Plugins are just
standard stacks written to support particular capabilities, one of which
can be to insert a script into the hierarchy when the stack opens. Once
you've written a stack that does what you want, just drop it into the
Plugins folder in the Documents/My Revolution/Plugins folder (you may
have to create this folder) and the plugin will load automatically every
time you launch Rev. You can adjust the plugin behavior using the Plugin
Settings menu item in the Development/Plugins menu. Revolution ships
with several of its own plugins.

For navigation, you'll need to write your own stack. I have one that
just presents a card containing a number of buttons scripted to open my
most commonly-accessed stacks. I keep it in the Plugins folder, and set
it to open automatically when Rev launches (using the Plugin Settings
item as per above.)

Note that Rev tracks the most recently opened stacks, so in many cases
you won't need a navigation hub at all. Everywhere you've been recently
is listed in the File menu.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com