concatenating with the ampersand

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 16:04:51 EST 2007

On 3/10/07 12:13 PM, "Joe Lewis Wilkins" <pepetoo at Cox.Net> wrote:

> on mouseup
>    put word one of the value of the clickline into lineNum --
> provides number w/ a periof
>    delete last char of lineNum -- deletes the period
>    put quote & "lineNum"&"H"&quote into fldName -- creates a field
> name such as "1H"
>    send mouseup to field fldName -- sends the mouseup to the
> appropriate field

Not to steal Phil's chance, but here is my take on the situation.
I will offer 4 separate solutions, each shorter than the previous

on mouseup
  put word one of the value of the clickline into lineNum --  provides
number w/ a period
  delete last char of lineNum -- deletes the period

  put quote & "lineNum"&"H"&quote into fldName -- creates a field  name such
as "1H"
  --prev line looks like it uses the literal "lineNum"----
  --I think you want-----------------------------
  put  lineNum &"H" into fldName
  send mouseup to field fldName -- sends the mouseup to the  appropriate
field
  -- or ----------------------------------
  get lineNum &"H"
  send mouseup to field (it) -- sends the mouseup to the  appropriate field

   -- or  the whole script coud be a    3 liner------------------
   get word one of the value of the clickline
   put "H" into the last char of it
   send mouseup to field (it)

   -- or  the whole script coud be a    2 liner---------------------
   set the itemdel to "."
   send mouseup to field (item one of value(the clickline) &"H")

end mouseup

By the way, if the number of line that is clicked is always the same as the
number (eg line 20 has "20." as the first word, then you could use:

put word 2 of the clickline --which is word 2 of "line 20 of fld 3"

Hope this helps

Jim Ault
Las Vegas