Potential disaster for Rev/Linux pendrive apps

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Sat Mar 10 10:40:59 EST 2007

In order to close this thread (since the problem has apparently been
resolved), I would like to explain why I felt it necessary to use my
baseball bat against Ubuntu.

There is an "anti-standalone" movement in the Linux community. How
strong it is, I am not sure. This is what I said to Kevin on 21st Feb:

"This issue is a potential point of conflict between Rev and the Linux
producers. When I suggested the use of standalones to the maker of
Gambas, he gave me a very reasonable answer as to why he was totally
against it. The point is that if apps depend on system libraries as they
usually do in Windows, patches and security fixes to the libraries are
automatically applicable to the apps. That would be fine if app
installation in Linux (including Gambas) was not such a headache as it
is currently. All we see at present is a state of total anarchy,
complication and failure in this respect."

In fact, I am still not entirely convinced that this issue really began
life in Feisty (/Gnome) as a bug or accident. Whatever, baseball bat
being necessary or not, the situation seems to have come to a happy
conclusion, at least for now.

Bob