Potential disaster for Rev/Linux pendrive apps

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 16:59:37 EST 2007

On 8 Mar 2007, at 18:12, Bob Warren wrote:

> >Spotted this bug in the Ubuntu support, is it the same one you're
> referring to? https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/2436
>
> No, the report I put in myself is this one:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/88229

Oh yes, I remember reading that one.

> I have the awful feeling this really is supposed to be a feature.
> If you try to execute a Rev app from the pendrive it comes up with
> a message saying that there is no available software for its
> installation. What worries me is the possibility that soon it will
> also be impossible to run Rev standalone apps from the Desktop or
> anywhere else for that matter without a setup procedure. There are
> perhaps security considerations involved here, but in practical
> terms it would be a disaster for the portability of Rev apps (and
> possibly Rebol apps too).
>
> To me, this is an extremely important issue. I have informed Kevin
> about it and I have tried to take it up with Ubuntu, but so far
> nobody has demonstrated any interest. I am beginning to wonder why
> I should bother to bust my own guts over it. Que sera sera???

:) From what I gather, from the little snippets here and there, that
they are working on it: It looks like something in the new USB
subsystem has not been initialised properly. There is a workaround,
but I can't find it now... :(  The next big release is due out soon.
Other than that I'd try installing 6.0.6 LTS and upgrading to 6.10 to
see if it works.
I might have the chance to do this at the weekend, but I gotta figure
why the box doesn't start now...

> Bob

Cheers,

Luis.