Potential disaster for Rev/Linux pendrive apps

Rishi Viner rishi at puredata.com.au
Wed Mar 7 18:36:52 EST 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 04:43, Bob Warren wrote:
> As you can see, executable permission has now become independent of the
> user. If you try changing this option when the program is on the
> pendrive itself, it won't work. I tried copying the program to the
> Desktop and altering the executable permission there. It works. But if
> you copy the program back to the pendrive, the executable permission is
> removed.

It looks like they are trying to improve security for removable drives...
shame they are crippling such important functionality! I can't imagine that
they would do this without some way for the user to manually fix this for a
program they specifically want to run. Make lots of noise on the ubuntu
forums and see if you can get an answer.

> I don't know how to alter the permissions of Rev progs on pendrives from
> the terminal.

As root user on terminal you could try:
chmod +x /media/KINGSTON/Revolution/revolution.x86
or
chmod 777 /media/KINGSTON/Revolution/revolution.x86

Good luck,

Rishi.