prevent too fast typing, how to?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 7 15:29:32 EST 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 18:10, Jim Ault wrote:
> Try trapping the 'rawkey down' code for the '000' and see if you can just
> substitute the '0'

This is my problem, I can't figure how to do this.  Because I've used xev to
find the keycodes, and what is happening is, 0 sends 90, and 000 sends 90
three times.  Its a very rapid sequence of keypress and keyrelease, three
times.

So I can't trap the keycode.  Sarah Reichelt had posted something a while back
which allowed you to trap cases where the key repeats, so she set a flag and
then caught the second sending of (eg) 0 on a key still down, without a key
release in between.  I can't do that, because the sequence is
keypress+keyrelease, keypress+keyrelease, keypress+keyrelease.  It seems like
the only distinguishing thing is the speed with which it happens.

Yes, understand Andre's reservations, and I would never do it in a general
purpose application, but in this particular case no-one is ever going to want
to key in 000.  The pad will be used by computer-phobic older volunteers to
key in numbers smaller than 20.  I am absolutely certain that anytime key 000
is used, its going to be in error for the zero.  But I still feel a bit
squeamish about putting the entry into a variable and then reformatting it to
take out all 000s!  Something tells me, you have to make it possible to enter
three zeros, just not using the 000 key.  Instinct!

Maybe there is no way, and we just have to deal with it in training.  It would
be neat if we didn't have to, though.

Peter