Potential disaster for Rev/Linux pendrive apps

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Wed Mar 7 12:43:33 EST 2007

Rishi wrote:

 >Hmmm, has ubuntu changed the default permissions given to pendrives
when they are mounted? Do you have executable rights on that file? (ls
-la) If not, try changing the permissions on the file on the pendrive
and try again. If this is the problem, you will have to dig deeper and
change the defaults for mounting pendrives so that you do have
executable rights.

Hope this helps,

Thanks Rishi.

Using a right mouse click on the program's icon to access the file
properties, this is the situation in Dapper Drake (where Rev progs
execute from the pendrive OK):

               Read   Write   Execute
Owner    Yes      Yes      Yes
Group     No       No       No
Others    No       No       No

In Feisty Fawn Herd5, this is the layout:

               Read    Write
Owner    Yes       Yes
Group     No        No
Others    No        No

Execute * Allow executing file as program [set to NO]

As you can see, executable permission has now become independent of the
user. If you try changing this option when the program is on the
pendrive itself, it won't work. I tried copying the program to the
Desktop and altering the executable permission there. It works. But if
you copy the program back to the pendrive, the executable permission is
removed.

I don't know how to alter the permissions of Rev progs on pendrives from
the terminal. At this stage, I am not sure whether it would be better to
try and find out, or to simply wait and see whether Ubuntu intend to do
anything about it before releasing Feisty Fawn on April 19th. Their
initial response to my bug report was almost immediate, but time is
passing and they don't seem to have done anything beyond asking me to
supply a Rev standalone for them to test.

Bob