Moving a File

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Mar 7 11:05:48 EST 2007

On 7 Mar 2007, at 15:41, Marielle Lange wrote:

>> Which is obviously dismissing the problem and making it sound like
>> I am wasting my time by posting my suggestions and warnings on the
>> list.
>
> Right, that's exactly the message I tried to convey: You are
> wasting your time  ;-).

But you didn't say that, you said it was that was because it was more
flexible!

You may think so, but I don't! Whether I actually am or not may never
be known. But if just one person reads this and avoids deleting a
file by accident then it won't be a waste of time as far as I am
concerned.

> Indeed, it is good practice to check with the list that what others
> think of an issue. But once you get to the point where you are
> convinced that there is a problem that needs to be fixed, if you
> want your comments / criticisms / recommendations / suggestions /
> complaints to be heard and more importantly, to be acted upon, this
> is not the right place to voice them.

Well, we are obviously talking at cross purposes here. Read my
initial post. I asked how to move a file. I was pointed at the
"rename" command. After a lot of testing I found the command and the
documentation were flawed, so I posted pointing out what I thought
was wrong and how I think it should be fixed. I also pointed out that
I can't log on to BZ at the moment since I am working away and can't
long on.

Since then I've taken part in a number of discussions on the subject,
some of which sought to justify the way it is implemented. I replied
stating my case. If no one had replied or if the replies had been,
yes, it's a really bad implementation then that would have been the
end of it. But to seek to justify the way it is will just cause me to
reply (well, not always, but in this case I decided I would).

>>>  it wouldn't be the best use of my time to clarify on this list
>>> what I think of that rename function
>>
>> But you did in your last post.
>
> This was to reassure you that I didn't dismiss the content of your
> comments, which I don't. ;-).

Look, I am not being rude, but you sought to say that the reason the
rename command worked the way it does was to make it more flexible. I
disagreed and pointed out why I thought this was not the case.

> To be honest, on bad days, at times where stress is peaking, I can
> get infuriated at stuff like the ones you pointed at. But I don't
> feel in the mood to infuriate myself today ;-).

Actually I am really not infuriated or feeling any bad feeling at
all. I really just state the fact and try to keep the emotion down to
zero. When I make a comment it's because that's the way it is as I
see it, not because I am fed up or stressed out. I suppose I am
exasperated sometimes! But it's more in fun than in anger! I rarely
lose my temper or get upset over computer programs and I never take
lists like this that seriously. Which is why I get so surprised when
people accuse me of thinking others are incompetent!

> As expressed in my previous email, if you take the time to report
> of the problem in the quality center <http://quality.runrev.com/>,
> I will take the time to support your report :-D

Thanks, I will when I get home at the weekend unless I can get it to
work from here.

All the Best
Dave