Moving a File

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 7 11:03:56 EST 2007

FWIW, I think the rename command is just fine exactly as it is.  It lets
you rename any part of a file's complete path name, which metaphorically
may also change the "location" of the file (for whatever that really
means in the bowels of a file system).  It's simple to use and quite robust.

And I also find it convenient that it will faithfully execute even when
another file already exists at that location, since we have the "exists"
function and "there is" operators to make a determination in cases where
we may need to do something different.

That said, I agree that it should be considered an error of omission
that the overwriting behavior is not included in the docs.

Which leads us to this central question:

Dave, what is the Bugzilla number for the request you filed for this
suggestion?

That will let us vote for it, so it'll help those of us who agree with
you to better support your desire for this change.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation