Pendingmessages

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Tue Mar 6 06:29:11 EST 2007

Here is from our experience. I can't explain why this is happening,
but repeated tests show that it does.

1) Using the blocking form (put url xx into url yy), we experienced
that a foreground file transfer that might take 30 seconds would be
effected by a pendingmessage file transfer scheduled to occur
sometime during the time frame of that foreground transfer

2) Using the non-blocking form (libURLFTPupload or download), in
concert with a "wait until messages" line thereafter, would also be
effected by pending messages.

Canceling all pending messages, then resending them after the
transfers, helped a great deal. Keep in mind all of these transfers
are occurring under strained wireless conditions outdoors over a
distance of up to 500 feet, with a signal that can drop briefly at
any time. We have to structure all of our transfers with considerable
robustness to repeat the transfer over and over again until it is
successful.

We've also discovered that the built-in Rev file transferring methods
(both blocking and non-blocking) cannot simply be immediately
repeated if one fails during a transfer attempt... at least not with
Rumpus ftp server software and OSX. The server (under its default
settings) rejects subsequent attempts unless we unload the url, send
a QUIT command, and wait some period of time before starting the next
attempt. We're still trying to come up with a reliable approach to
guarantee any downloads or uploads work every time, even if it takes
five attempts.

Richard