XP and Vista question

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Mar 4 18:54:04 EST 2007

Bob,

There's no way Mac can be #1 unless they allow others to sell
hardware. Too many companies can't rely on a single-source hardware
solution.

I spent a good bit of time messing around with Vista today on my Dad's
computer. Setting up printers, network connections, firewalls, etc..
It appears while Vista is still not yet ready for primetime, it is a
worthwhile effort, and I imagine will be the standard in the near
future. Especially, considering you can only buy machines with Vista
(not XP) on them at retail these days.

One of the interesting things was the annoying 'allow or deny' dialog.
At first it was very disconcerting, but then I started remembering the
same sort of dialog on Mac, where you had to enter your admin password
everytime you wanted to install drivers or tweak a system setting
which only admins could. The Macs version, IMO was even more of a
hassle as it required entering in a password rather than just clicking
an "Allow" button. Though granted, the password technique appears more
secure.

I think there are probably more "Allow or Deny" situations in Vista
than on the Mac. Overall, I found Vista a very usable OS-- Allow or
Deny not withstanding.