File transferring

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sat Mar 3 15:06:59 EST 2007

On 3 Mar 2007, at 17:43, Richard Miller wrote:

> This question is related to my prior questions on file transferring.
>
> I'm using the "put url to url" method to ftp a file from client to
> server via a wired connection. I pull the ethernet cable from the
> computer, killing the connection mid-stream. What do I need to do
> to re-send that file? When I try using "put" again, I get numerous
> kinds of error messages... mostly socket related, but sometimes
> "error 550, Command failed for unknown reasons". I've tried
> resetall. I've tried asking for the socket ID so I could close it.
> Nothing seems to work.

Sorry, Richard. I don't have a good answer. I tried here, and things
worked as expected.

-- Unplugged during the transfer, and get a socketTimeout.

-- Tried again while still unplugged, and get a "Can't connect to
host" error.

-- Plug in again, and the transfer takes place with no problems.

The 550 error looks like an FTP error, usually for "file not found"
or "no access to file/folder". But I wouldn't expect it when
uploading. You usually this when downloading non-existent files or
files with the wrong permissions.

I guess the consequeces of pulling the cable may vary from network to
network.

Also, there may be differences between FTP servers about how they
behave when a transfer is interrupted. I tested with pure-FTP server
on OS X.

Cheers
Dave