XP and Vista question

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sat Mar 3 04:58:15 EST 2007

Hi

One for the lawyers...

I read a lot about this restriction of using some editions of Vista
with virtual systems, but is it absolutely clear this use is
restricted? The following is the sentence from the EULA that I have
seen quoted in many places:

“USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software
installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise
emulated) hardware system.”

I've never seen this placed in the wider context of the entire
license, but I wonder what the phrase "licensed device" refers to. Is
the device in this case the disk that contains Vista? If so, then it
seems clear you can't use it on a virtual system (legal challenges
notwithstanding). But the wording sounds to me more like an OEM
license, where "licensed device" is the computer you bought which
already had Vista installed. In that case, I don't think it's so
different from existing OEM licensing of Windows.

Can anyone clear this up?

Cheers
Dave