Can REV create Excel files?

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 18:57:22 EST 2007

On 3/2/07 3:21 PM, "Ken Ray" <kray at sonsothunder.com> wrote:>
> Can you just write out your tab delimited data to a file with an
> extension of ".xls"? On a Mac, double-clicking it launches Excel and
> opens it as if it were a "true" Excel worksheet...
>
> Give it a try and see if it works! If so, it's the easiest solution. :-)

The only real catch I have found to the text file named as ".xls" is that
Excel insists on figuring out what you 'meant' to have imported and changes
are made to values.

Ken, I will have to admit that I am not using the latest Excel on my various
computers, so this may be the *real* gotcha for me.

When saved as a tab delimited file.xls, here are some examples of data
modifications I see:

a data point of "2-18" => date serial number of Feb 8th
sometimes dates have the year adjusted +/- 4 years
dates have their formats are re-adjusted but not always
leading '-' signs are interpreted as "this is a formula not a value"
leading '+' signs as indicators are removed
a "/" will be interpreted to be division
street addresses are changed depending on their content
embedded commas and quotes give unexpected results.
decimal values appear rounded to the default setting for Excel app

Things could be different now.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas