XP and Vista question

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Mar 2 13:28:53 EST 2007

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 09:29:18 -0800, Jim Ault wrote:

> Given that Microsoft will discontinue support for WinXP at some point in the
> future, what does this mean for those who setup to use virtuals (Boot Camp,
> Parallels, etc)?
>
> It sounds like Vista will be too demanding to be used on a Mac in a virtual
> environ.  Since authorization is required for any install, it seems like the
> future will be that we are forced to use pirated copies since MS will want
> to force the upgrade to Vista.

Actually it's kind of worse than that. Microsoft does not allow any of
the Basic or Home versions to be used in virtualilzed environments. You
need to purchase the Business or Ultimate version to allow for that
(BTW, they're getting a lot of heat for that, which they *should* IMHO).

As to being too demanding, it really isn't. I was running Vista RC 1 in
Parallels before the official release on my MacBook Pro and it was
running pretty well.

> One of my goals in my two businesses is to use the Parallels solution, but
> this may have a short life expectancy.
>
> Am I off-base in my thinking, and should just not worry about XP
> disappearing in the next couple years?

I'd figure it's more like 4-5 years at least - according to reviews and
personal experience, Vista just doesn't have enough going for it to
make people upgrade. New computers, of course, will come with Vista by
default, but existing XP computers may not be upgraded to Vista for a
long time.

Just my 2 cents...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.