RSS Feeds (Really Simple Syndication)

Brent Anderson brentj84062 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 16:57:09 EST 2007

Hello.

Considering that 67.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot,
about 2% of your visitors will use your feed. =)

Seriously, the number of people subscribing to your feed will vary
directly with who your audience is. Slashdot or Engadget are going to
have a lot more subscribers than a site that provides content to the
more technology-illiterate. RSS, however simple, is not something
that a typical email/browser/word-processor user is going to know
about, let alone use. It's like asking how many people subscribe to a
newspaper? Responsible adults that want to be informed are your
audience, not younger children or teenagers. If you want to get a
message out to one of these audiences, then you need to change your
delivery medium.

That being said, it would be wise to make your RSS feeds more
intuitive than "RSS 2.0" or "ATOM 0.3" by labeling them "Subscribe to
our news" or "Stay up to date on our latest products" and then, for
the more technically savvy, labeling them with the feed type.

Thanks,
Brent Anderson
Christa McAuliffe Space Education Center