like pass, but without ending the handler

Marielle Lange mlange at widged.com
Thu Mar 1 12:19:50 EST 2007

Hi Jacque,

> No. Only the messages listed in the docs can be flushed from the
> queue.  You can flush "all" messages, but other than that, choices
> are limited to the specific ones in the docs.

Thanks for making clear that though the events that can be flushed
bear the same name as familiar messages, flushing events and locking
messages are two very different things indeed. The text below that I
pasted within the chat session is in fact from the doc. It makes that
point clearly indeed.

> Marielle: "Although some of the eventTypes have the same names as
> built-in Transcript messages, there is a distinction. For example,
> the mouseDown event type is the operating system's response to the
> user clicking the mouse button. When the operating system sends
> this event to the application, Revolution sends a mouseDown message
> to the target object. The expression flushEvents(mouseDown)
> prevents the application from responding to any mouseDown events it
> has received from the operating system, but has not yet
> processed." [revdocs, flushevents entry]

I discussed flushevents very brielfy with Marcus (van Houdt). The
recommendation was to stay away from using flushevents unless having
a very good reason to use it.

I am a psycholinguist, I am a lot more comfortable with regular
expressions than with lockmessages or flushevents constructs ;-). I
would be interested in hearing about some recipes. When to consider
using them? What to be careful about? (like the increase in CPU that
was mentioned when attempts of multithreading are made).

If I receive enough input on this, I will write a tutorial
summarizing the contributions on some wiki page of mine. There is
nothing better than trying to explain to others to try and understand
something ;-)

Marielle